Thursday 19 July 2012

The Making of the Elephant Invitations

Today I thought I would share with you how I made these romantic elephant wedding invitations for a wonderful couple who are planning their wedding in Sri Lanka.


The design is printed onto high quality pearlescent card, and then using a clean brush I brushed water around the image allowing it to seep in slightly, this gives me a better base to be able to tear the card with.

I follow this method for every elephant image, creating a square with torn edges every one ends up different which I think is so exciting as no 2 invites will be the same, how unique.


The next stage was to sew a zig zag stitch each side of the image, with a sewing machine that kept dropping stitches you can imagine how time consuming this was I have to admit a lot of elephants ended up in the bin!

All the threads then need to be pulled through and tidied up on the back you need lots of patience for this.

I can now say with thanks to my Mum I have a brand new sewing machine x


Things are now beginning to take shape.

I printed each card onto the same pearlescent high quality card, this is achieved by creating the background colour and overlaying the date of the wedding. Each is scored in half and then guillotined to size.

 We're not there yet, using a strong adhesive I mounted each hand torn elephant image onto the scored card and left them while they dried.

I then worked on the insert which carried the text for the invitation, printed on matching pearlescent paper each invite had the guests' name incorporated making it much more personal than a general invitation.


Next was the R.S.V.P.'s and the information cards, printed onto the same card at a size slightly smaller than the main invitation. Also pre-printed reply envelopes and printed addressee envelopes.

I mounted the insert and then started on tying the ribbon, again you need to have lots of patience for this and very nimble fingers so that you tie it tight enough, any slack and it will look shoddy.

Once the ribbon was in place I made sure the knot was at the middle front and on the inside the R.S.V.P. is tucked behind the ribbon along with the envelope which must me tucked over it and then the information card on top, this is the usual order but it can be altered you don't have to follow the rules!

I love making these invitations and on this occasion the image was so apt as the wedding is in Sri Lanka.

The bride and groom were very happy with them and I am sure they will have an amazing day.

2 comments:

NiluLewis said...

WoW! Sadie, we really didnt appreciate how much time and effort you put into making these amazing invitations for our special day.

We were so impressed with the final outcome and cant wait for people to receive them!

Absolutely perfect for our elephant themed wedding in Sri Lanka with special guest real life Elephant!

Thanks again.

Nilu & Lewis :)

kerry said...

Yet another stunning product from you. Beautiful xxxxxxx